We hope you all had a good Summer break and have managed to capture some great new images. This is just a reminder that we start our program again on September 4th with our Welcome Evening.
It is also a reminder to those who agreed to enter an image into the RAF Exhibition that you should bring along your images on that Thursday.
For anyone thinking of joining the Society, please come along on the night and meet us. We are a friendly lot and there will be cheese and wine!
We are now preparing our contribution to the Royston Arts Festival coming up in September.
To learn more about the Exhibition and Photo Competition, please visit the Arts Festival Page.
If you are able to help on the Festival Weekend and have not yet signed up, please let one of the committee know as soon as possible.
As you know, later this year we are having a competition called ‘Breaking the Rules’.
To clarify what is expected, we have created some points to help:
- This is a standalone competition which is informal and fun!
- The objectives are to be creative and to encourage a different approach to photography.
- Digital competition (see standard format rules for digital comp).
- Each member may submit up to 3 images.
- The photograph does not have to have been captured within two years of the competition date.
- Open theme (images may be of any topic).
- Images can be either colour or monochrome.
- The title of the image needs to describe or indicate the photography rule broken.
- Image needs to break one or more of the generally held photographic composition rule; such as (but not limited to):
- The Rule of Thirds
- Cutting off limbs / body parts
- The rule of odds
- Lead-in Lines
- Leaving space (breathing room and implied movement)
- Focus rules
To assist with some of the rules above, check out this page or search on the Internet. There are many resources there to assist with all areas of photography.
To allow as much time as possible to get your images taken and sorted, here are the subjects for next year – so no excuses! The subjects are in order of when the competitions will be held, but the dates are not confirmed yet.
Dates and Rules will be confirmed by the AGM.
Please remember when you pick a subject for the Lucky Dip, that you are responsible for creating the rules, so give it some thought before you pick a subject. Continue reading
The cold weather is really here now, so what better way to keep warm than nice new fleece or sweatshirt. Or plan ahead and order a polo shirt for the summer.
To make them even more sought after, all items will come bearing the Photographic Society logo! Continue reading
We are constantly looking for new competition themes to extend our range of subjects.
If you have any ideas for new themes, please contact Mark Fitz-Gibbon with your suggestions. Continue reading
The club has a ColorMunki available for members to use. If you would like to borrow it, please let Tim Somervell know or email him at email@example.com
Check out the updated News and Reviews page with links to BBC News in Pictures and the Travel POTY 2012 slideshow.